Orbital Images Reveal Iranian Navy and Atomic Sites Hit by US-Israeli Airstrikes.
Multiple US and Israeli strikes has reportedly sunk or crippled at least 11 warships belonging to Iran since the weekend, new aerial photos demonstrate, with rocket sites and nuclear sites also sustaining hits.
Images of the southern Konarak naval military port and the Bandar Abbas port facility, which is located on the strategic Hormuz Strait and is home to the main command of the Iran's naval force, depict black smoke pouring from a number of vessels on Monday and Tuesday.
Naval Fleet Incurred Major Damage
Included in the targets eliminated was the IRINS Makran, the country's most sizable ship which had served as a unmanned aerial vehicle platform. Aerial imagery indicated thick smoke rising from the ship which had been stationed at the Bandar Abbas naval base.
Analytical evaluations state that no fewer than five vessels at Bandar Abbas were "damaged or eliminated". Pictures of the southern part of the port reveal smoke rising from the Makran, while two other ships appear to be harmed, with a single one seen burning.
Over at Konarak, images show several harmed ships, with expert review pointing to strikes against six ships. Photos taken on Monday also show that multiple structures at the base have been destroyed.
"For a long time the Iranian regime has harassed global maritime traffic," an American commander said. "Now, there is not one Iranian ship operational in the Persian Gulf, Hormuz Strait or Gulf of Oman, and we will continue."
A number of vessels reportedly sunk may have been obscured in satellite images by haze or plumes, or hit in open waters, and have not been conclusively proven. Additional information suggested that an Iranian vessel was sinking near Sri Lanka's waters, leading to a rescue operation.
Rocket Sites and Atomic Locations Targeted
Eliminating Tehran's launch facilities and the prevention of enrichment activities were declared as other goals of the offensive. Satellite images also depicted damage at the southern Khorgu and north-western Tabriz missile bases, and at the Konarak base, where rocket warehouses and bunkers were hit.
Over at the Choqa Balk-e drone base west of Kermanshah, widespread destruction was identified to sheds, bunkers and unmanned aircraft systems.
Damage was also seen at a radar installation at the Zahedan airbase airbase in eastern Iran, near the frontier with Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Of particular note, the new round of strikes have apparently focused on facilities at the Natanz complex – considered at the heart of the country's atomic program. An international watchdog said that the damaged buildings were used for entry to the facility's underground enrichment facility and that "no release of radioactive material" was likely.
Broader Impact and Analysis
Defense experts suggested that the strikes appeared to have "largely neutralized" the Iran's naval capacity to carry out standard operations using its largest vessels. Nevertheless, it was emphasised that Iran retains the ability to launch irregular strikes at sea through the use of drones, mini-submarines and its so-called "shadow fleet" of tankers.
The overall scope of the destruction caused to Iran's defense facilities is still uncertain, with hostilities reportedly ongoing. Photos also shows extensive damage to the command center of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in the city of Tehran.
A significant number of non-military structures also are reported to have been damaged in the capital city and across Iran since the hostilities started. Reports of deaths from local officials state that hundreds of civilians may have been fatally injured in the bombardment.
With the conflict ongoing, analysis of space-based data will persist to track the unfolding scope of damage.